Secure your data when shopping this season
posted by Stephan Thomasee on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 in SHAZAM Blog
Traditionally, the holiday shopping season generates the highest number of transactions in the timeframe between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Consumers hit the stores, seeking the perfects gifts for families and friends. As you’re shopping, take a few easy precautions to protect yourself from theft and fraud.
- If you stop at the ATM before hitting the mall, protect your transaction
- Before inserting your card, pull firmly on the card reader to make sure there aren’t any overlays. Fraudsters install overlay devices on top of the ATM equipment to capture your card’s magnetic stripe data.
- To help keep your PIN secure, shield your PIN entry with your hand. Fraudsters install mini cameras to spy on your PIN entry.
- Follow these same steps when shopping at the store and using the point-of-sale device. Don’t assume the clerk is watching the point-of-sale device. They’re busy doing their job, and fraudsters know this. Those same overlay devices can be installed on a point-of-sale terminal in a matter of seconds.
- To ensure the safest shopping experience online, be sure that the link starts with https. The “s” stands for secure. Also look for a padlock which is usually found in the bar at the top of the screen, next to the web address.
- Turn off the autocomplete settings on your browser settings so that your card data and personal information are not being stored.
- Finally, be sure to monitor your transactions and report any discrepancies. If you find an unknown transaction, contact the service provider by calling the number on the back of the card. They’ll help you resolve the issue.
As the use of card and mobile payments increase, protecting personal information becomes increasingly important. Keep your card in a safe place and lock your account when it isn’t being used. Have a merrier, safer holiday season!
About the Author
Stephan Thomasee utilizes his technical background, proven business acumen and operational leadership capabilities to create value for internal and external customers. He utilizes IT to drive business growth by advancing security, enhancing performance, ensuring availability and refining function
... read entire bio
SHAZAM, Inc. and ITS, Inc. provide this blog for general informational purposes only. Our blog may be shared by a direct link wherein the content remains as originally presented and has not been altered. SHAZAM, Inc. and ITS, Inc. assume no responsibility for errors or omissions in the contents on the blog. By using this blog, reader agrees that the information published does not constitute nor is a substitute for legal advice which should only be sought from a qualified, licensed attorney.
comments powered by