ATM smash and grab prevention tips
posted by Mike Burke on Thursday, December 17, 2020 in SHAZAM Blog
What do ATMs and construction equipment have in common? Unfortunately, a little too much lately. Local, state and federal law enforcement has made SHAZAM aware of ATM thefts occurring across the U.S. The culprits are using construction equipment to rip out ATMs from drive-through or remote ATM locations.
At your branch/island ATMs
- Place bollards around the ATM.
- Ensure your security cameras cover not just the ATM, but the surrounding area as well.
- ID and monitor any ATMs in construction zones, as criminals may use construction equipment to facilitate the theft.
- Work with your ATM vendor to identify theft protection options, such as GPS or tilt detection.
At your remote or convenience-store ATMs
- Have a procedure or process in place with the remote location if maintenance is required on the ATM. In these thefts, ATM access may have been granted to individuals without proper authorization at remote locations. Have a password or method to identify a legitimate maintenance technician.
Situations like these pose a risk to our clients and all financial institutions. Please feel free to share this information.
SHAZAM, Inc. and ITS, Inc. provide this blog for general informational purposes only. Our blog may be shared by a direct link wherein the content remains as originally presented and has not been altered. SHAZAM, Inc. and ITS, Inc. assume no responsibility for errors or omissions in the contents on the blog. By using this blog, reader agrees that the information published does not constitute nor is a substitute for legal advice which should only be sought from a qualified, licensed attorney.
comments powered by